Record Store Day Sales Surge
Overall album sales (CD, LP, etc.) at independent record stores were up 91% vs. the prior week and up 11% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year
Record Story Day 2014 was on Saturday, April 19. All sales figures are for the entire week, Monday-Sunday (week ending April 19, 2014) in the U.S.
"Record Store Day keeps shining the spotlight on the experience that Independent Record Stores uniquely brings to music fans," says David Bakula, SVP Client Development & Insights, Nielsen Entertainment. "Propelled by Record Store Day, Independent Record Stores had their highest weekly Physical Album share in SoundScan's history. It has become a major music event that that compels artists to deliver premium content and drives music consumers to Independent Record Stores."
Independent record store album sales increases by year (sales percentage increase over the prior week):
2014 (April 19, 2014): +91%
2013 (April 20, 2013): +59%
2012 (April 21, 2012): +27%
2011 (April 16, 2011): +39%
2010 (April 17, 2010): +12%
2009 (April 18, 2009): +21%
2008 (April 19, 2008): +0.4%
Independent Record Stores Highlights:
* Overall album sales (CD, LP, etc.) at Independent record stores were up 91% vs. the prior week and up 11% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year.
* Independent Record Stores represented 19.4% of the total national volume of all Physical Album sales this week. This is the highest share of Physical Album sales for the Independent stores since SoundScan started tracking sales by store strata.
* Vinyl LP sales at Independent record stores were up 280% vs. the prior week and up 58% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year. This is the most successful Record Store Day week for Vinyl LPs.
* Fueled by Record Store Day exclusives, Independent Record Stores represented 85% of the total national volume of Vinyl LPs this week. In 2013, Independent Record Stores sold 82% of the total national Vinyl LPs.
* This week represented the second-highest sales volume for the Independent Record Stores in a non-holiday week since 2008.
Vinyl LP Sales increased 176% this week over last week at all stores.
Sales of 12" Vinyl exploded this week increasing more than 3,100% over last week, and up 113% over the same week last year.
* RSD 2014 is the most successful Record Store Day ever for vinyl with LP sales up 58% over the week of RSD 2013.
* Vinyl LPs accounted for 52% of all album sales (CD, LP, other album formats) at Independent record stores this week. The week of RSD 2013, LPs accounted for 37% of all album sales at Independent record stores.
* Of the top 50 Vinyl LPs in the U.S. this week, 43 titles were either exclusive Record Store Day releases, or were widely released for the first time this week.
* The top 50 Vinyl LPs combined to sell 35% more copies this week than during the week of Record Store Day in 2013.
* 68 different Vinyl LPs sold more than 1,000 copies this week, compared to 17 Vinyl LPs with exceeding 1,000 copies sold during the week of last year's Record Store Day.
* YTD Vinyl LP sales are now up 36% vs. the same period last year and are on pace to exceed last year's record-high volume.
» CMA Gives Snapshot Into Music Discovery Behavior
» Spotify Overtakes iTunes in Europe for Kobalt
» CIAM Congress Meets in Nashville to Discuss Music Copyright in the Digital Age
» Over 90% Of Adults Support The Provision Of Music In Schools
» WIN Calls YouTube's Decisions "A Grave Error of Commercial Judgement"
Insider Scoop Directory
» [2014-11-20] BMG Signs Worldwide Rights Management Deal With Chinese Music Company Giant Jump; BMG Will Exclusively Manage All Giant Jump's Recording And Music Publishing Rights, Both Domestically And Internationally
» [2014-11-20] CMA Gives Snapshot Into Music Discovery Behavior; While AM/FM Radio Ranked No. 1 As A Music Source, Streaming Apps And TV Drove Higher Levels Of New Artist Discovery Compared To Radio
» [2014-11-13] How To Manage Your Talent: FIVE Realistic Tips For Success; Talent Agent, Motivational Speaker And Author Of Come Fly With Me... Michael Bublé's Rise To Stardom (A Memoir)
» [2014-11-13] Executive Wach: Villanova University School Of Law, Mozart's Estates Theatre, Universal Music Publishing Group, Music Group, HighVolMusic, New West Records; Villanova University Law Professor; Stage Director Of Don Giovanni Production; UMPG Special Advisor; Music Group Snr Manager, Professional Division For Asia Pacific; HighVolMusic Talent Relations VP; New West Records President
» [2014-11-13] PRS Guitars Amps Up 30 Years Of Manufacturing; The PRS US-made 30th Anniversary Core Model Is A Prime Example Of How Paul And The Craftsmen At PRS Keep Focused On Providing The Best Possible Instruments
» [2014-11-09] Spotify Overtakes ITunes In Europe For Kobalt; Spotify Revenues Surpass ITunes Revenues In Europe By 13% For Kobalt Clients
» [2014-11-06] Incisors Break Through The Dawn With Their Debut Album On Nov. 28; Incisors Break Through The Dawn With Their Debut Album On Nov. 28
» [2014-11-04] The First Chinese Rock Exhibition Launched In Beijing; "Serve The Rock" Exhibition Showcases Rare Collections And Documents From Major Historical Events In The Development Of Chinese Rock
» [2014-11-02] CIAM Congress Meets In Nashville To Discuss Music Copyright In The Digital Age; Fair Trade Music Project Unanimously Adopted To Promote Fair Trade Remuneration For Creators
» [2014-11-01] The Modern Musical Magi Of Beijing; Djang San Will Be Performing At Yugong Yishan On November 26 As Part Of The Dong Dong Music Festival And Convention
» [2014-10-31] World's Most Influential Electronic Music Figureheads Head To Asia; International Music Summit - The Premier Platform For Thought Leadership In Electronic Music - Hits Singapore December 11, 2014
» [2014-10-31] MOCAMIX: DJ Daniel Wang; DJ Daniel Wang Takes Listeners For A Spin On The 90s Chinatown Music Scene, African American Dance Music, And New York's Queer Club Culture
follow MusicDish on