Record Store Day Sales Surge
Overall album sales (CD, LP, etc.) at independent record stores were up 91% vs. the prior week and up 11% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year
Record Story Day 2014 was on Saturday, April 19. All sales figures are for the entire week, Monday-Sunday (week ending April 19, 2014) in the U.S.
"Record Store Day keeps shining the spotlight on the experience that Independent Record Stores uniquely brings to music fans," says David Bakula, SVP Client Development & Insights, Nielsen Entertainment. "Propelled by Record Store Day, Independent Record Stores had their highest weekly Physical Album share in SoundScan's history. It has become a major music event that that compels artists to deliver premium content and drives music consumers to Independent Record Stores."
Independent record store album sales increases by year (sales percentage increase over the prior week):
2014 (April 19, 2014): +91%
2013 (April 20, 2013): +59%
2012 (April 21, 2012): +27%
2011 (April 16, 2011): +39%
2010 (April 17, 2010): +12%
2009 (April 18, 2009): +21%
2008 (April 19, 2008): +0.4%
Independent Record Stores Highlights:
* Overall album sales (CD, LP, etc.) at Independent record stores were up 91% vs. the prior week and up 11% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year.
* Independent Record Stores represented 19.4% of the total national volume of all Physical Album sales this week. This is the highest share of Physical Album sales for the Independent stores since SoundScan started tracking sales by store strata.
* Vinyl LP sales at Independent record stores were up 280% vs. the prior week and up 58% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year. This is the most successful Record Store Day week for Vinyl LPs.
* Fueled by Record Store Day exclusives, Independent Record Stores represented 85% of the total national volume of Vinyl LPs this week. In 2013, Independent Record Stores sold 82% of the total national Vinyl LPs.
* This week represented the second-highest sales volume for the Independent Record Stores in a non-holiday week since 2008.
Vinyl LP Sales increased 176% this week over last week at all stores.
Sales of 12" Vinyl exploded this week increasing more than 3,100% over last week, and up 113% over the same week last year.
* RSD 2014 is the most successful Record Store Day ever for vinyl with LP sales up 58% over the week of RSD 2013.
* Vinyl LPs accounted for 52% of all album sales (CD, LP, other album formats) at Independent record stores this week. The week of RSD 2013, LPs accounted for 37% of all album sales at Independent record stores.
* Of the top 50 Vinyl LPs in the U.S. this week, 43 titles were either exclusive Record Store Day releases, or were widely released for the first time this week.
* The top 50 Vinyl LPs combined to sell 35% more copies this week than during the week of Record Store Day in 2013.
* 68 different Vinyl LPs sold more than 1,000 copies this week, compared to 17 Vinyl LPs with exceeding 1,000 copies sold during the week of last year's Record Store Day.
* YTD Vinyl LP sales are now up 36% vs. the same period last year and are on pace to exceed last year's record-high volume.
» ASCAP CEO Elizabeth Matthews Testifies For Senate Judiciary Subcommittee
» Ebook And Music Downloads Stagnate While Mobile Games And Videos See Strong Growth
» Red Bull Music Academy Accepting Applications for Paris Academy
» Music Therapy May Provide Hope To Alzheimer and Parkinson Sufferers
» CMA Gives Snapshot Into Music Discovery Behavior
Insider Scoop Directory
» [2015-04-07] INTRO Electronic Music Festival: Interview With DJ Weng Weng; INTRO Music Festival, China's Biggest Electronic Music Festival, Will Be Held This May 1st In Beijing's Chaoyang Park
» [2015-04-06] VUE Audiotechnik Establishes VUE China; VUE Audiotechnik China Will Offer The Entire Complement Of VUE Products As Well As Provide Technical Support For All Integrated Systems
» [2015-04-03] March 28, 2015: A Black Day For Yaogun (Chinese Rock); A Bad Practical Joke Played On China's Rockers? 330 Festival, MIDI Festival And Strawberry Festival Get Cancelled
» [2015-03-31] Inside All That Matters: John Cappo, CEO, AEG China; John Cappo Will Discuss The Structures Of Modern Brand And Artist Partnerships In Live Entertainment
» [2015-03-31] Inside All That Matters: Shen LiHui, Founder, Modernsky Entertainment; Shen LiHui Will Be Sharing Insights About The Independent Music Scene In China
» [2015-03-31] Rock In Rio Teams With Fanstang To Stream Festival In Mainland China And Integrate Chinese Music Into Future Shows; First Rock In Rio Festival Stream Starts With US Festival Weekends May 8-9 And 15-16 [China Standard Time May 9-10 And 16-17]
» [2015-03-31] Inside All That Matters: Marc Vincent, President, Sennheiser Greater China; Marc Vincent Will Discuss Sound Architecture For Festivals And Venues, And Creating Branded Content From Live And Recorded Music
» [2015-03-31] Inside All That Matters: John Cappo, CEO, AEG China; Inside All That Matters: John Cappo, CEO, AEG China
» [2015-03-31] Inside All That Matters: Shen LiHui, Founder, Modernsky Entertainment; Inside All That Matters: Shen LiHui, Founder, Modernsky Entertainment
» [2015-03-31] Inside All That Matters: Marc Vincent, President, Sennheiser Greater China; Inside All That Matters: Marc Vincent, President, Sennheiser Greater China
» [2015-03-30] ReverbNation And SESAC To Nurture Emerging Artists; Strategic Relationship Provides A Path For ReverbNation Artists To Become Part Of The SESAC Community
» [2015-03-24] Veteran Chinese Rocker Wu Tong Presents "Song Of The Sheng"; Veteran Chinese Rocker Wu Tong Presents "Song Of The Sheng"
follow MusicDish on