Record Store Day Sales Surge
Overall album sales (CD, LP, etc.) at independent record stores were up 91% vs. the prior week and up 11% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year
Record Story Day 2014 was on Saturday, April 19. All sales figures are for the entire week, Monday-Sunday (week ending April 19, 2014) in the U.S.
"Record Store Day keeps shining the spotlight on the experience that Independent Record Stores uniquely brings to music fans," says David Bakula, SVP Client Development & Insights, Nielsen Entertainment. "Propelled by Record Store Day, Independent Record Stores had their highest weekly Physical Album share in SoundScan's history. It has become a major music event that that compels artists to deliver premium content and drives music consumers to Independent Record Stores."
Independent record store album sales increases by year (sales percentage increase over the prior week):
2014 (April 19, 2014): +91%
2013 (April 20, 2013): +59%
2012 (April 21, 2012): +27%
2011 (April 16, 2011): +39%
2010 (April 17, 2010): +12%
2009 (April 18, 2009): +21%
2008 (April 19, 2008): +0.4%
Independent Record Stores Highlights:
* Overall album sales (CD, LP, etc.) at Independent record stores were up 91% vs. the prior week and up 11% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year.
* Independent Record Stores represented 19.4% of the total national volume of all Physical Album sales this week. This is the highest share of Physical Album sales for the Independent stores since SoundScan started tracking sales by store strata.
* Vinyl LP sales at Independent record stores were up 280% vs. the prior week and up 58% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year. This is the most successful Record Store Day week for Vinyl LPs.
* Fueled by Record Store Day exclusives, Independent Record Stores represented 85% of the total national volume of Vinyl LPs this week. In 2013, Independent Record Stores sold 82% of the total national Vinyl LPs.
* This week represented the second-highest sales volume for the Independent Record Stores in a non-holiday week since 2008.
Vinyl LP Sales increased 176% this week over last week at all stores.
Sales of 12" Vinyl exploded this week increasing more than 3,100% over last week, and up 113% over the same week last year.
* RSD 2014 is the most successful Record Store Day ever for vinyl with LP sales up 58% over the week of RSD 2013.
* Vinyl LPs accounted for 52% of all album sales (CD, LP, other album formats) at Independent record stores this week. The week of RSD 2013, LPs accounted for 37% of all album sales at Independent record stores.
* Of the top 50 Vinyl LPs in the U.S. this week, 43 titles were either exclusive Record Store Day releases, or were widely released for the first time this week.
* The top 50 Vinyl LPs combined to sell 35% more copies this week than during the week of Record Store Day in 2013.
* 68 different Vinyl LPs sold more than 1,000 copies this week, compared to 17 Vinyl LPs with exceeding 1,000 copies sold during the week of last year's Record Store Day.
* YTD Vinyl LP sales are now up 36% vs. the same period last year and are on pace to exceed last year's record-high volume.
» Millennials Turn From Radio To Embrace Streaming
» CMA Research Shows Country Music Consumers Spend More On Music
» Venues Refuse to Pay Songwriters While Profiting From Their Music
» Streaming is More Than a Wave, It's Now the Sea In Which the Music Business Swims
» Billy Ray Cyrus Joins List of Artists Standing Up Against Anti-LGBT Bills
Insider Scoop Directory
» [2016-07-25] 7th Annual Future Music Forum & Sync Summit: Finding The Next Music Industry; The Future Music Forum (FMF) Announced The Launch Of It's 7th Edition Today With It's First Round Of Speakers
» [2016-07-25] GUIGUISUISUI Release 'Wu Xing' EP; This Is The First Of Three EPs The Boy/girl British/Chinese Art Rock Duo Plan To Release
» [2016-07-18] Viacom TV Launches New Artist Discovery Platform; Viacom TV Was A Result Of A Cross-promotional Agreement Between Star 1 Records LLC. And Viacom Media Networks
» [2016-07-17] Heavy #16 In Hong Kong 4 August 2016 - Hard Rock & Metal Goodness; Four More Bands Will Grace The Stage With Hard Rock And Metal Goodness
» [2016-07-12] Millennials Turn From Radio To Embrace Streaming; 15-to-19 Year Olds Have Embraced On-demand Streaming As Their Format Of Choice, Accounting For 51% Of Their Total Listening Time
» [2016-07-10] The Underground Summer Festival In Hong Kong; Six Hours Of Fun With NINE All Headline-calibre Bands Performing Some Of Hong Kong's Best Live Music
» [2016-07-10] Research Finds Audible Differences With High-Resolution Audio; Listeners Can Hear A Difference Between Standard Audio And Better-than-CD Quality, Known As High-resolution Audio
» [2016-06-26] Morbid Goats Farewell Tour And Digital Album Release; Morbid Goats Will Release Their First Album And Give Their Farewell Tour During July 1st To July 29th (ten Cities)
» [2016-06-26] Alisa Apps Files Lawsuit Against Universal Music Group And John Newman; The Basis Of The Lawsuit Is An Alleged Copyright Infringement Of Alisa Apps' Song 'Need To Know'
» [2016-06-16] MusicDish*China Music Releases, Charts, MV Premiere And Radio Feature; MusicDish*China Has Ramped Up Its Music Distribution With 8 New Releases So Far This Summer, Ranging From EDM, To Electro-pop, Alternative And Rock
» [2016-06-16] Andreas Carlsson Becomes Advisor And Investor In Soundtrap; Carlsson, Who Has Written Hits For Katy Perry, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears And More, Sees Huge Potential In Online Music Recording Studio Soundtrap
» [2016-06-16] Adva Mobile Fan Engagement Score (ES); New Mobile Technology Scores Fan Engagement On Artist Web Apps And Ranks Fans By Loyalty
follow MusicDish on