Record Store Day Sales Surge
Overall album sales (CD, LP, etc.) at independent record stores were up 91% vs. the prior week and up 11% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year
Record Story Day 2014 was on Saturday, April 19. All sales figures are for the entire week, Monday-Sunday (week ending April 19, 2014) in the U.S.
"Record Store Day keeps shining the spotlight on the experience that Independent Record Stores uniquely brings to music fans," says David Bakula, SVP Client Development & Insights, Nielsen Entertainment. "Propelled by Record Store Day, Independent Record Stores had their highest weekly Physical Album share in SoundScan's history. It has become a major music event that that compels artists to deliver premium content and drives music consumers to Independent Record Stores."
Independent record store album sales increases by year (sales percentage increase over the prior week):
2014 (April 19, 2014): +91%
2013 (April 20, 2013): +59%
2012 (April 21, 2012): +27%
2011 (April 16, 2011): +39%
2010 (April 17, 2010): +12%
2009 (April 18, 2009): +21%
2008 (April 19, 2008): +0.4%
Independent Record Stores Highlights:
* Overall album sales (CD, LP, etc.) at Independent record stores were up 91% vs. the prior week and up 11% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year.
* Independent Record Stores represented 19.4% of the total national volume of all Physical Album sales this week. This is the highest share of Physical Album sales for the Independent stores since SoundScan started tracking sales by store strata.
* Vinyl LP sales at Independent record stores were up 280% vs. the prior week and up 58% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year. This is the most successful Record Store Day week for Vinyl LPs.
* Fueled by Record Store Day exclusives, Independent Record Stores represented 85% of the total national volume of Vinyl LPs this week. In 2013, Independent Record Stores sold 82% of the total national Vinyl LPs.
* This week represented the second-highest sales volume for the Independent Record Stores in a non-holiday week since 2008.
Vinyl LP Sales increased 176% this week over last week at all stores.
Sales of 12" Vinyl exploded this week increasing more than 3,100% over last week, and up 113% over the same week last year.
* RSD 2014 is the most successful Record Store Day ever for vinyl with LP sales up 58% over the week of RSD 2013.
* Vinyl LPs accounted for 52% of all album sales (CD, LP, other album formats) at Independent record stores this week. The week of RSD 2013, LPs accounted for 37% of all album sales at Independent record stores.
* Of the top 50 Vinyl LPs in the U.S. this week, 43 titles were either exclusive Record Store Day releases, or were widely released for the first time this week.
* The top 50 Vinyl LPs combined to sell 35% more copies this week than during the week of Record Store Day in 2013.
* 68 different Vinyl LPs sold more than 1,000 copies this week, compared to 17 Vinyl LPs with exceeding 1,000 copies sold during the week of last year's Record Store Day.
* YTD Vinyl LP sales are now up 36% vs. the same period last year and are on pace to exceed last year's record-high volume.
» CMA Research Shows Country Music Consumers Spend More On Music
» Venues Refuse to Pay Songwriters While Profiting From Their Music
» Streaming is More Than a Wave, It's Now the Sea In Which the Music Business Swims
» Billy Ray Cyrus Joins List of Artists Standing Up Against Anti-LGBT Bills
» 68% of U.S. Smartphone Owners Listen to Streaming Music Daily
Insider Scoop Directory
» [2016-06-16] MusicDish*China Music Releases, Charts, MV Premiere And Radio Feature; MusicDish*China Has Ramped Up Its Music Distribution With 8 New Releases So Far This Summer, Ranging From EDM, To Electro-pop, Alternative And Rock
» [2016-06-16] Andreas Carlsson Becomes Advisor And Investor In Soundtrap; Carlsson, Who Has Written Hits For Katy Perry, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears And More, Sees Huge Potential In Online Music Recording Studio Soundtrap
» [2016-06-16] Adva Mobile Fan Engagement Score (ES); New Mobile Technology Scores Fan Engagement On Artist Web Apps And Ranks Fans By Loyalty
» [2016-06-05] MusicDish*China Presents Ji, Yui And Nagi Trio For A Night At The Museums; The Jazz Trio Will Help Celebrate The China Institute's New Downtown Headquarters As Well As Its Upcoming Fall Exhibition As Part Of Night At The Museums
» [2016-06-01] South Korea's YG Entertainment Attracts Chinese Investment; Tencent And Weiying Technology Invest US$85 Million Dollars In YG Entertainment
» [2016-05-31] Cpop Goes Global With KKBOX And Twitter; KKBOX And Cpop Artists To Create Exclusive #OnlyOnTwitter Content To Share With The World
» [2016-05-28] Syndney Singer Rainbow Chan Guest DJ On China's Kanjian FM; In Its First Month, "Nest" Had Over 16,000 Listens, With The Song Climbing To #4 On Kanjian's Top 50 ING Chart
» [2016-05-25] Brownswood Launches Second "Future Bubblers" Music Discovery Program; The Project Speaks To The Creativity, Enterprise And Vibrancy Of Music Scenes Bubbling Under The Surface Of Towns Across The Country
» [2016-05-24] MusicDish Yaogun Adds Chinese Rock On Colectivo Bunka USB Vol. 6th Asia Music Compilation; The Special Anniversary Edition Features Three Very Different Chinese Rock Bands That Continue To Shape The Scene
» [2016-05-22] Kobalt Offers Creators Real-Time Earnings & Data Reporting; Mobile App Allows Artists And Songwriters To Track Their Earnings, Synch Activity, YouTube And Music Usage, All In Real Time
» [2016-05-15] New Online Ticketing System In Hong Kong Offers Enhanced User Experience And Lower Promoter Fees; A Hong Kong Music Promoter Has Teamed Up With A Canadian Electronic Ticketing Provider To Offer A New System
» [2016-05-15] Ryan West Video Shows How To Add 'Transformer Color' In A Mix; Tips Video Shows How Transformer Saturation Along With Analog Summing Adds Sonic Dimension To A Mix
follow MusicDish on