Record Store Day Sales Surge
Overall album sales (CD, LP, etc.) at independent record stores were up 91% vs. the prior week and up 11% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year
Record Story Day 2014 was on Saturday, April 19. All sales figures are for the entire week, Monday-Sunday (week ending April 19, 2014) in the U.S.
"Record Store Day keeps shining the spotlight on the experience that Independent Record Stores uniquely brings to music fans," says David Bakula, SVP Client Development & Insights, Nielsen Entertainment. "Propelled by Record Store Day, Independent Record Stores had their highest weekly Physical Album share in SoundScan's history. It has become a major music event that that compels artists to deliver premium content and drives music consumers to Independent Record Stores."
Independent record store album sales increases by year (sales percentage increase over the prior week):
2014 (April 19, 2014): +91%
2013 (April 20, 2013): +59%
2012 (April 21, 2012): +27%
2011 (April 16, 2011): +39%
2010 (April 17, 2010): +12%
2009 (April 18, 2009): +21%
2008 (April 19, 2008): +0.4%
Independent Record Stores Highlights:
* Overall album sales (CD, LP, etc.) at Independent record stores were up 91% vs. the prior week and up 11% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year.
* Independent Record Stores represented 19.4% of the total national volume of all Physical Album sales this week. This is the highest share of Physical Album sales for the Independent stores since SoundScan started tracking sales by store strata.
* Vinyl LP sales at Independent record stores were up 280% vs. the prior week and up 58% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year. This is the most successful Record Store Day week for Vinyl LPs.
* Fueled by Record Store Day exclusives, Independent Record Stores represented 85% of the total national volume of Vinyl LPs this week. In 2013, Independent Record Stores sold 82% of the total national Vinyl LPs.
* This week represented the second-highest sales volume for the Independent Record Stores in a non-holiday week since 2008.
Vinyl LP Sales increased 176% this week over last week at all stores.
Sales of 12" Vinyl exploded this week increasing more than 3,100% over last week, and up 113% over the same week last year.
* RSD 2014 is the most successful Record Store Day ever for vinyl with LP sales up 58% over the week of RSD 2013.
* Vinyl LPs accounted for 52% of all album sales (CD, LP, other album formats) at Independent record stores this week. The week of RSD 2013, LPs accounted for 37% of all album sales at Independent record stores.
* Of the top 50 Vinyl LPs in the U.S. this week, 43 titles were either exclusive Record Store Day releases, or were widely released for the first time this week.
* The top 50 Vinyl LPs combined to sell 35% more copies this week than during the week of Record Store Day in 2013.
* 68 different Vinyl LPs sold more than 1,000 copies this week, compared to 17 Vinyl LPs with exceeding 1,000 copies sold during the week of last year's Record Store Day.
* YTD Vinyl LP sales are now up 36% vs. the same period last year and are on pace to exceed last year's record-high volume.
» Over 90% Of Adults Support The Provision Of Music In Schools
» WIN Calls YouTube's Decisions "A Grave Error of Commercial Judgement"
» Earbits Service Shuts Down
» Top 10 Reasons To Hire A Professional Crew For Your Music Video
» Rap Genius Partners With The NMPA
Insider Scoop Directory
» [2014-07-25] FM Pilots Skyrockets To Top Of MusicDish*China Indie Song Chart; Oklahoma Pop-alternative Quartet FM Pilots' "With You" Skyrocketed To The Top Of This Week's Chart With Over 4,000 Plays Over The Week
» [2014-07-22] Zebra Music Festival (Shanghai) Ticket Giveaway Winners; Zebra Music Festival (Shanghai) Ticket Giveaway Winners
» [2014-07-21] MusicDish*China Top 5 Indie Song Chart 07/12-07/18/2014; MusicDish*China Top 5 Indie Song Chart 07/12-07/18/2014
» [2014-07-17] Temple Bar 3 Year Anniversary; To Celebrate This Very Special Moment, Temple Bar Will Throw A Four-day Bash Filled With Special Events From July 24th Till 27th
» [2014-07-09] Zebra Music Festival (Shanghai) Announces Headlining Acts (Chinese Version); ZMF Is Excited To Announce A Few Headlining Acts Officially Which Are FTISLAND, STARLINE, UV Girl, Power Station And Aaron Yan
» [2014-07-09] Raising Our Voices For Fennie: Benefit Concert Zajia Lab, July 13; Zajia Lab Will Hold A Benefit Concert On Sunday July 13th To Support Fennie's Trial
» [2014-07-09] Raising Our Voices For Fennie: Benefit Concert Zajia Lab, July 13 (Chinese Version); Raising Our Voices For Fennie: Benefit Concert Zajia Lab, July 13 (Chinese Version)
» [2014-07-06] KANO Premiere At New York Asia Film Fest (Chinese Version); KANO Premiere At New York Asia Film Fest
» [2014-07-06] Over 90% Of Adults Support The Provision Of Music In Schools; The Recent Survey By Music For All Proves Conclusively That Not Only Are More People Than Ever Playing Musical Instruments, But More Would Like To Learn
» [2014-07-06] Why Branding Is More Important Than Ever; Branding, Is Now More Than Ever, The Most Important Investment An Artist Can Make Towards Their Own Career Success
» [2014-06-30] Executive Wach: Tracktion Software Corporation, Liberace Foundation, McNally Smith College Of Music, SPIN, WSOU, Guitar Center; Traction Business Development; Liberace Foundation Advisory Board; McNally Smith College Of Music Brass And Woodwinds Faculty; SPIN Editor-in-Chief; WSOU Sales & Marketing Manager; Guitar Center VP Of Brand Experience And Entertainment Marketing
» [2014-06-30] "Overheard 3" And "Golden Chickensss" Took The Stage At New York Asian Film Festival (Chinese Version); Writers/Directors Alan Mak And Felix Chong Of "Overheard 3" And Actress Sandra Ng Of "Golden Chickensss" Brought Their Movies To The 2014 New York Asian Film Festival
follow MusicDish on