Why Mastering Your Audio Is Vital
Sometimes referred to the "black art", mastering is the most mysterious and least understood audio process
Mastering is the most mysterious and least understood audio process. Sometimes referred to the "black art", there are many misconceptions around it. Many budding audio producers and composers confuse it with mixing. Mixing and mastering are 2 separate processes and have completely different processing goals. Mastering is a final and the most important step in getting your audio to sound like a million dollar. You might have mixed your audio in the best of the studios, but it still needs mastering to sound professional. Here are some reasons why mastering is so important for your audio tracks:
1. Add further depth, sparkle and shine to your mixes. Mastering makes minute adjustments to the highs/mid/low balance, the stereo field etc to add the final sparkle and crispness to the tracks.
2. New perspective: You need a new set of ears to evaluate your tracks. Every producer and mix engineer has their own set of preferences as to how the final should sound. This results in a biased sound. An experienced mastering engineer can evaluate the track in a better way than the mix engineer or the artist, who sometimes can get "too close" to the song. An independent assessment helps in fixing the bias and making the sounds more rounded.
3. Loudness maximization: Mastering helps in achieve the "loud" levels which help in better perception of the songs. A certain level of loudness is necessary, so that the songs don‚t sound low quality when played side by side with other commercial released songs.
4. High end Equipment: Mastering employs very high end audio chains and gear. The accurate acoustic environment and superior monitoring helps in better judging the overall frequencies of the songs. This aids in balancing the overall frequencies of the song perfectly.
5. Album consistency: mastering give a consistent feel and tone to the entire album. Consistent dynamics and audio levels across the album makes the listening experience smooth and the listener doesn‚t have to keep adjusting the levels when going from track 1 to track 2
6. Translation: mastering ensures that your tracks‚ sound consistent and similar when they are played in different stereo systems. There are a wide variety of audio playback systems, from the ipod to big stereo sound systems. If a song is not mastered, it might play well on one system and might fall flat in the other!
So if you have your songs already mixed, head to a mastering studio. There are many online mastering studios as well, but you need to be careful of what you choose. Make sure you don‚t go for cheap mastering studios, as they might not have the required gear or expertise to master your tracks.
» Novation Bass Station II and the New Sound of P-Funk
» Best Facebook Supported Video Format for Facebook Uploading
» Sir Tom Jones Rocked Muscat with Outline Butterfly
» midemlab: Startup & Apps Developers Competition
» The Headphone Market: Booming All The Way To The Bank
Digital Skool Directory
» [2015-05-22] MusicDish*China Tours, Signing, NYCxDesign And Planetrox; It's Been A Busy 2015 With New Tours, Our Launch Into The Art/design World And Signing Of One Of The Pioneers Of Chinese Rock
» [2015-05-19] Award-Nominated DJ Soulier Performs At Beijing's Award-Winning DDC; Western Canadian Music Awards Nominee Returns To China For 7 Dates In Beijing, Changsha, Wuhan, Guangzhou And Tianjin
» [2015-05-18] Second Hand Rose "Crossing Boundaries" World Tour; China's Boldest Rock Band Will Embark On Their "Crossing Boundaries" World Tour That Will Include One Of Europe's Biggest Festivals, Paleo Festival Nyon 2015
» [2015-05-13] CMW Live Touring Summit: Interview With Elliott Lefko; Interview With Elliott Lefko VP Of Talent, Goldenvoice / AEG Live / Coachella
» [2015-05-12] Online Chinese Music Video Platform Yinyuetai Raises $35 Million In Funding; The Funding Would Be Used To Build A Fan Club Platform And Optimize Its Music Fan Service System
» [2015-05-11] Founder Of Beijing Oi! Punk And MiSanDao Front Man Passes Away; Ode To China's Boot Boy
» [2015-05-09] The New Wave Of Chinese Contemporary Art: Identity, Irreverence And Forward-Looking; Avent Studio, LittleE Studio And MusicDish*China Will Present A Unique Event Assembling Chinese Creators Who Have Chosen Very Different Paths, And Yet Share A Common Spirit
» [2015-04-30] Tommy Hilfiger New Store Opening In Beijing, China; As Part Of His Global 30th Anniversary Tour, Iconic American Designer Tommy Hilfiger Will Visit Beijing For A Special Program
» [2015-04-24] Stones Fans Rejoice - 2015 Tour Dates Announced; This Tour Will Follow The Band's 2014 One Fire Tour, Which Went Through Europe, Asia, New Zealand, And Australia
» [2015-04-07] INTRO Electronic Music Festival: Interview With DJ Weng Weng; INTRO Music Festival, China's Biggest Electronic Music Festival, Will Be Held This May 1st In Beijing's Chaoyang Park
» [2015-04-06] VUE Audiotechnik Establishes VUE China; VUE Audiotechnik China Will Offer The Entire Complement Of VUE Products As Well As Provide Technical Support For All Integrated Systems
» [2015-04-03] March 28, 2015: A Black Day For Yaogun (Chinese Rock); A Bad Practical Joke Played On China's Rockers? 330 Festival, MIDI Festival And Strawberry Festival Get Cancelled
follow MusicDish on