The Orchard Announces Slew Of MIDEM And Post-MIDEM International Signings
MIDEM '06 News
Number 1 Singles, Number 1 Albums, Top Labels, Award-Winning Artists and Million-Sellers from China, Russia, Argentina, UK, Israel, India, Kenya, Australia, Uzbekistan and Beyond
The Orchard, the world's leading digital distributor and marketer of independent music, returned from MIDEM to announce a landmark set of new signings, bringing chart-topping and award-winning artists from around the world into The Orchard's system. The Orchard operates a pioneering network of 20 offices on five continents. Managed by local industry professionals with a sophisticated understanding of their local repertoire, each office maximizes the value of The Orchard's catalogue within digital music stores in their local markets.
The Orchard is excited to announce highly anticipated new music from:
ASHA BHOSLE, India - Saregama
* Newest album from this 72-year-old Bollywood legend is called Asha: A Brand New Album, containing contemporary treatments of nine ghazals originally made famous by classical Indian maestros.
* Bhosle is credited with recording 13,000+ songs for 1,000+ films.
* Dubbed "the most recorded artist in the world."
BOSSA'N'MARLEY, Argentina - Music Brokers
* Currently the #1 most-downloaded album on iTunes Spain, this is the second in a series of compilation albums of contemporary bossa nova treatments of major hits by seminal artists; in this case Bob Marley.
* Its predecessor - Bossa'N'Stones - spent an entire year on Argentina's Top 10 Albums chart.
BUDDHA BAR, France - George V Records
Lounge music compilation series based on music heard in Paris's trendy nightspot Buddha Bar and founded by the iconic Parisian DJ Claude Challe
New "Buddha Bar Nature" CD includes DVD video images to accompany the music
DION, United States - Dimensional Music Recordings
* Dion is a legendary New York-bred doo-wopper ["A Teenager in Love"] turned pop-rocker ["The Wanderer," "Runaround Sue"] turned folkie ["Abraham, Martin and John"].
* Scored ten Top 10 Pop singles between 1959 and 1968.
* New album Bronx In Blue garnering significant press and glowing reviews in Rolling Stone, NY Times, Washington Post, USA Today, NY Post, Mojo (9 pages), Time Out NY, Fox News, Hollywood Reporter, American Songwriter, Guitar World Acoustic, and many more
OFRA HAZA, Israel - Hed-Arzi
* One of Israel's most popular singers during the 80s and 90s.
* Earned international acclaim for both traditional Israeli music and dance/rock crossovers.
* Hit song "I'm Nin'Alu" was heavily sampled by Eric B. and Rakim and M/A/R/R/S ["Pump Up the Volume"].
* Collaborated with Don Was, Iggy Pop and Lou Reed on the #1-charting Billboard Top World Music Album Kirya.
ALEXANDER SHULGIN, Russia - Familia Entertainment
* Widely acknowledged as one of the founders and builders of the modern Russian music business.
* A multiple recipient of the prestigious "Song of the Year" and "Album of the Year" awards.
* New album Predstavlenie from one of Russia's most popular and successful songwriters and producers.
SIMPLY RED, United Kingdom Simplyred.com
* New Orchard-distributed single "Perfect Love" is currently #13 in its thirteenth week on Billboard's Hot Dance / Club Play singles chart. It peaked at #1.
* These British soul-poppers are best known for their 1980s pop hits "Holding Back the Years" and "If You Don't Know Me By Now."
* They've recorded 22 Billboard-charting singles.
YULDUZ USMANOVA, Uzbekistan Blue Flame
* World-pop vocalist dubbed "the Uzbek Madonna."
* Sold five million albums in her home country, a nation of fifteen million.
* Wrote Uzbekistan's new national anthem and is a current member of Uzbek parliament.
GARY VALENCIANO, Philippines Universal Records Philippines
* Christian Filipino pop singer.
* He remains Universal Records Philippines' #1 top-seller after 19 years.
* Every one of his recordings has achieved double platinum certification in his home country.
* Honored with the first MTV Philippines "Generations" award in August '05.
* Brand-new album Soul Full was certified Gold in the Philippines in December '05.
THE WAIFS, Australia - MGM
* Their latest album A Brief History, Live was nominated for two 2005 ARIA Awards the Australian equivalent to the Grammies.
* This sister-led Aussie trio has won four past ARIAs from 13 nominations since 2001.
* Their legions of fans include Bob Dylan, who hand-picked them as openers for his 2003 US tour.
YANG CHEN GANG, China - Freeland Movie & Video Production Co.
* New single "Mei Er Ai Wo (Girl Loves Me)" from one of the biggest Mandarin pop singers in China.
* His smash hit debut single "Lao Shu Ai Da Mi (Mouse Loves Rice)" also distributed by The Orchard has been downloaded over 200 million times since its release in 2004.
* The Orchard also distributes a different version of "Lao Shu Ai Da Mi (Mouse Loves Rice)," performed by Chinese star Xiang Xiang.
The Orchard digitally supplies and markets its entire catalogue to all of the major music services around the world, including iTunes, eMusic, Napster, MSN, Real/Rhapsody, and Yahoo!/ Musicmatch. In addition, The Orchard supplies its catalogue to the leading mobile companies around the world the largest mobile network of any distributor, spanning over 200 global services including Verizon V CAST Music, Sprint, Vodafone, Zingy, 9 Squared, Mobile Streams, Arvato Mobile and Hudson Soft.
"Early on, we made a commitment to under-served artists and labels, particularly in non-Western markets. Sensitive to the importance of local knowledge and credibility, we have established a powerful international network of savvy and strongly-positioned music companies to take advantage of The Orchard's leading market position and marketing capabilities," said Greg Scholl, chief executive of The Orchard and managing director of Dimensional Associates, the company that owns The Orchard, eMusic and Dimensional Music Publishing. "Our growing catalogue of chart-topping music bears out the value of this strategy, and underscores the fact that while the industry is global, music will always be local."
Orchard artist Dion, whose recent release by The Orchard is climbing the blues charts both online and at traditional retail, added, "The music industry is a different animal from when 'Teenager in Love' was a hit, and The Orchard is the perfect partner to take my new music into the digital age. Because of The Orchard's innovative marketing of my new album, I'm now topping the Blues charts worldwide."
"The Orchard has opened up a global market for us," said Laura Tesoriero, president of Epsa, the leading Argentinean record label and one of South America's largest CD manufacturing companies. "They've supplied and promoted our music to digital stores in territories that were previously off-limits due to the logistical and economic barriers of inefficient, traditional CD distribution. The results have exceeded our expectations greatly."
Related News from Mi2N:
» The Orchard Announces Slew Of MIDEM And Post-MIDEM International Signings