World Music Fair WOMEX At FIBES, Sevilla
The Biggest Yet
The final full day of WOMEX sees a sold-out trade fair, bustling conferences, another night of dazzling showcases open to delegates and the public - and the biggest and most dynamic WOMEX in our 12-year history.
"These are difficult times for the music industry," said Number 2 Top Label Award Winner Phil Stanton of World Music Network/ Riverboat, "and that is why we need WOMEX more than ever," he added to general applause.
Totó La Momposina received the WOMEX Award 06 to a standing ovation, having treated the audience to a gracious speech in three languages and a moving a cappella performance. This Colombian treasure was recognised for a lifetime of cultural activism and sterling artistic accomplishment.
2006 marked the welcome return of WOMEX to its 2003 home at FIBES in Sevilla, Spain. Mayor Don Alfredo Sánchez Monteseirín, Cultural Commissioner Juan Carlos Marset, and their energetic team at ICAS (the Sevilla Insituto de la Cultura y las Artes) have, in words, warmth and deeds, made Sevilla an ideal home for a multicultural event of this size and scope. As a UNESCO City of Music and a centuries-long gateway to world cultures and world peoples. This capital of Andalucia directly led to these record-breaking results:
STATISTICS WOMEX 06
- Over 2.500 delegates and 1.400 companies from 97 countries.
- Over 425 national and international journalists, including over 100 radio broadcasters.
- A fully sold-out trade fair with 240 stands and over 400 exhibitors, including numerous umbrella stands of countries, regions, networks and other joint-venture structures.
- 48 showcases with 340 artists from 30 countries on 4 stages (38 WOMEX, 10 offWOMEX).
- 36 speakers in 24 conference sessions.
- The festive Opening with its special focus on new trends in Spanish music, and dazzling performances by Banda de la Maria, Son de la Frontera, Martíres del Compás and DJs Electroputas.
- The WOMEX Award, this year honouring Colombia's incomparable Totó La Momposina, in recognition of her ground-breaking work for Afro-Caribbean music and dance. She thanked the audience in three languages, saying how an artist expresses love to an audience and in the award she feels love being sent right back.
- The new WOMEX/World Music Charts Europe Top Label Award in recognition of label excellence, with top three winners: Number 1 - World Circuit (accepting the award, Nick Gold) Number 2 - World Music Network/Riverboat (accepting, Phil Stanton) Number 3 - Sterns (accepting, Robert Urbanus)
- The WOMEX World Music Film Market with over 13 films, in cooperation with the International Music + Media Centre IMZ/Vienna.
- The offWOMEX programme with presentations, meetings, receptions, press conferences and three nights of additional showcases.
- The new WOMEX Book Publication conference, celebrating WOMEX delegate authors and publishers. Appearing were Joe Boyd, Garth Cartwright, Mondomix, Julio Etchart and Mark Ellingham & Simon Broughton.
- virtualWOMEX and the introduction of the new version coming online by January 2007.
- The new Radio WOMEX broadcasting studio for live interviews and performances.
- The WOMEX TV, webcast and virtualShowcases, presented in cooperation with Mondomix/Paris.
WOMEX thanks the army of production staff, volunteers, enthusiasts, professionals and fans, along with its production partners at ICAS and FIBES.
Next year WOMEX happily returns to FIBES and Sevilla. And due to the exponential growth, we will be opening a second trade fair hall, which gives us the enviable opportunity to add new features to the new space. Stay tuned for a bigger, better Radio WOMEX studio, new Digital events and more, much more.
Related News from Mi2N:
» World Music Fair WOMEX At FIBES, Sevilla, The Biggest Yet
» Nordic & British Musicians' Unions' Joint Statement on Sexism in the Music Industry
» Women Make An Impact On The 2018 MPG Awards Shortlist
» Two-Sides of Copyright Finance: Sound Royalties & Kobalt
» Career Moves: ROLI, Live Nation Sweden, Music Glue, BBR Music Group, Warner/Chappell Music Spain & Blue Night Soundscapes
» Europe's Digital Music Leaders Form Alliance
News Beat Directory
» [2017-11-21] Joint Statement By The Nordic Musicians' Unions And British Musicians' Union; Discussions On The Issue Of Gender Inequality, Sexism And Sexual Harassment, The Scale Of Which Had Been Highlighted By The Recent #metoo Campaign
» [2017-11-13] Women Make An Impact On The 2018 MPG Awards Shortlist; Nearly A Quarter Of Those Named This Year Are Female, Proving That Music Production Is No Longer A Bastion For The Boys
» [2017-11-13] The Nashville Musicians Sound Healthcare Plan Rolls Out; Sound Healthcare & Financial Announced The Formation Of A True Group Health Insurance Policy Plan For Musicians And Industry Professionals
» [2017-11-09] Streaming & Listening Diversity - Spotify Case Study; Will Artists Have An Easier Time Finding An Audience, Or Will Streaming Focus Global Attention On A Small Number Of Stars?
» [2017-11-09] Two-Sides Of Copyright Finance: Sound Royalties & Kobalt; Sound Royalties Unearths Millions In Undistributed Royalties While Kobalt Launches Fund To Invest In Music Copyright
» [2017-11-08] Career Moves: ROLI, Live Nation Sweden, Music Glue, BBR Music Group, Warner/Chappell Music Spain & Blue Night Soundscapes; ROLI Chief Creative Officer, Live Nation Sweden Managing Directors, Music Glue Global Head Of Business Development, BBR Music Group VP Of International, Warner/Chappell Music Spain Managing Director And Blue Night Director Of Music Clearance
» [2017-11-08] Europe's Digital Music Leaders Form Alliance; European Digital Music Companies Launch Of Digital Music Europe
» [2017-11-05] Pandora Subscriber Base Grows To Over 5 Million; Pandora Premium Paid Subscribers Cross The 1 Million Milestone In October 2017
» [2017-11-05] Hybrid Studios Announces Online Mastering Services; Engineers Billy Klein And Brian Frederick Spearhead New Online Mastering Effort Through OC Studio
» [2017-11-05] Music Industry Betting On VR & AR For New Revenue; The Music Industry Is Making An Early Bet On VR & AR To Create New Revenue Streams Across All Their Lines Of Business
» [2017-11-04] Sound Royalties Unearths Millions In Undistributed Royalties; Nearly $14 Million In Undistributed Royalties Has Been Found By Music-focused Finance Firm Sound Royalties
» [2017-11-02] MusicDish*China October China Label Music Releases And Charts; Several Tracks From October Releases Have Charted On Chinese Music Portal Kanjian ING Top 10 Weekly Chart
follow MusicDish on