World Music Fair WOMEX At FIBES, Sevilla
The Biggest Yet
The final full day of WOMEX sees a sold-out trade fair, bustling conferences, another night of dazzling showcases open to delegates and the public - and the biggest and most dynamic WOMEX in our 12-year history.
"These are difficult times for the music industry," said Number 2 Top Label Award Winner Phil Stanton of World Music Network/ Riverboat, "and that is why we need WOMEX more than ever," he added to general applause.
Totó La Momposina received the WOMEX Award 06 to a standing ovation, having treated the audience to a gracious speech in three languages and a moving a cappella performance. This Colombian treasure was recognised for a lifetime of cultural activism and sterling artistic accomplishment.
2006 marked the welcome return of WOMEX to its 2003 home at FIBES in Sevilla, Spain. Mayor Don Alfredo Sánchez Monteseirín, Cultural Commissioner Juan Carlos Marset, and their energetic team at ICAS (the Sevilla Insituto de la Cultura y las Artes) have, in words, warmth and deeds, made Sevilla an ideal home for a multicultural event of this size and scope. As a UNESCO City of Music and a centuries-long gateway to world cultures and world peoples. This capital of Andalucia directly led to these record-breaking results:
STATISTICS WOMEX 06
- Over 2.500 delegates and 1.400 companies from 97 countries.
- Over 425 national and international journalists, including over 100 radio broadcasters.
- A fully sold-out trade fair with 240 stands and over 400 exhibitors, including numerous umbrella stands of countries, regions, networks and other joint-venture structures.
- 48 showcases with 340 artists from 30 countries on 4 stages (38 WOMEX, 10 offWOMEX).
- 36 speakers in 24 conference sessions.
- The festive Opening with its special focus on new trends in Spanish music, and dazzling performances by Banda de la Maria, Son de la Frontera, Martíres del Compás and DJs Electroputas.
- The WOMEX Award, this year honouring Colombia's incomparable Totó La Momposina, in recognition of her ground-breaking work for Afro-Caribbean music and dance. She thanked the audience in three languages, saying how an artist expresses love to an audience and in the award she feels love being sent right back.
- The new WOMEX/World Music Charts Europe Top Label Award in recognition of label excellence, with top three winners: Number 1 - World Circuit (accepting the award, Nick Gold) Number 2 - World Music Network/Riverboat (accepting, Phil Stanton) Number 3 - Sterns (accepting, Robert Urbanus)
- The WOMEX World Music Film Market with over 13 films, in cooperation with the International Music + Media Centre IMZ/Vienna.
- The offWOMEX programme with presentations, meetings, receptions, press conferences and three nights of additional showcases.
- The new WOMEX Book Publication conference, celebrating WOMEX delegate authors and publishers. Appearing were Joe Boyd, Garth Cartwright, Mondomix, Julio Etchart and Mark Ellingham & Simon Broughton.
- virtualWOMEX and the introduction of the new version coming online by January 2007.
- The new Radio WOMEX broadcasting studio for live interviews and performances.
- The WOMEX TV, webcast and virtualShowcases, presented in cooperation with Mondomix/Paris.
WOMEX thanks the army of production staff, volunteers, enthusiasts, professionals and fans, along with its production partners at ICAS and FIBES.
Next year WOMEX happily returns to FIBES and Sevilla. And due to the exponential growth, we will be opening a second trade fair hall, which gives us the enviable opportunity to add new features to the new space. Stay tuned for a bigger, better Radio WOMEX studio, new Digital events and more, much more.
Related News from Mi2N:
» World Music Fair WOMEX At FIBES, Sevilla, The Biggest Yet
» 13 Music Label Sold to MTN
» Darcus Beese Named President Of Island Records
» ASCAP Revenues Top $1.144 Billion In 2017
» BMG Appoints New Creative Directors In Nashville
» Live.me Launches Its First Live Musical Themed Content Series
News Beat Directory
» [2018-06-23] The 2018 MIDEM Silk Road International Music Alliance Signing; International Music Industries Signing Of A Mutual Resource Sharing Agreement With Shanghai Conservatory Of Music & The China Records Group
» [2018-06-06] Screen Music Connect To Explore The Music Of Film, Television And Interactive Media; Created By James Hannigan, Award-winning Composer And Game Music Connect Co-founder, Screen Music Connect Builds On The Success Of The Sold-out Game Music Conferences
» [2018-06-05] Fred Casimir To Develop BMG's Global Recordings Business; As Well As Building BMG's European Infrastructure, Casimir Was Instrumental In Developing BMG's Recordings Business
» [2018-06-03] 13 Music Label Sold To MTN; DSN Music Spins Off Record Label To Albuquerque Music Entrepreneur's New Group
» [2018-06-02] CISAC 2018 Annual Report; A Comprehensive Overview Of The Confederation's Work To Serve 4 Million Creators And 239 Authors Societies Across The World
» [2018-06-02] MusicDish Announces A Love Electric 2018 China Tour; The Tour Will Crisscross Through China With 12 Shows In 8 Cities, Including Guangzhou, Dongguan, Zhuhai, Shenzhen, Kunming, Jiaxin, Wuhan And Beijing
» [2018-06-02] Darcus Beese Named President Of Island Records; Renowned U.K. Music Executive To Join Universal Music Group's U.S. Label Leadership
» [2018-05-17] Avant-Garde Label Maybe Noise Launches In Beijing; The Official Launch Will Be On May 26 At Magnet Theater With A Performance Supporting Its First Vinyl Release: Píng Zč
» [2018-05-04] Award-Winning Lithuanian Rock Band Colours Of Bubbles "She Is The Darkness" 2018 China Tour; The Tour Will Kickoff In Shanghai Where The Band Will Represent Lithuania During The Country's Signing To The Silk Road Music Alliance
» [2018-05-01] Hollywood Heavyweights Launch New Christian Music Label; Their Debut Release, Firma Collective - Songs For Every Soul, Was Produced By Mgrdichian And Mixed By The Legendary Brian Reeves
» [2018-04-30] Pop Artist Ava King Releases New Single; Paris-born Ava King Decided To Move To Beijing Where She Wrote For One Of The Biggest Chinese Movie Production Companies, HuaYi Brothers
» [2018-04-27] NetEase Cloud Music Sign Distribution Partnership With B2 Music; Chinese Music Streaming Service To Release Billboard "Best Of Asia" Album Series
follow MusicDish on