Nielsen Music 2007 Year End Music Industry Report For Canada
2007 Year End Factoids:
* Overall Album sales (including Albums and Track Equivalent Album sales) declined 6.9% compared to 2006.
* Total album sales declined 9.5% compared to 2006.
* More than 25 million digital tracks were purchased; an increase of 73% over 2006.
* The top 200 tracks accounted for 18% of all track purchases; 4.7 million sales compared to 2.8 million in 2006.
* Digital album sales increased 93% from 2006 with sales of 2 million compared to 1 million in 2006 and represented 4.7% of total album sales in 2007.
* Celine Dion was the biggest selling artist with album sales surpassing 560,000 in 2007.
* 37% of all albums purchased were at a Mass Merchant/Non Traditional outlets compared to 34% in 2006 and 29% in 2005.
* Chain music stores accounted for 63% of all album sales, compared to 66% in 2006 and 71% in 2005.
* Consistent with a year ago, the top two selling artists in Canada during the SoundScan era are both native Canadians; Celine Dion (6.8 million albums sold) and Shania Twain (4.2 million albums sold).
* These same two artists continue to have the biggest selling albums for Canada in the SoundScan era; Shania Twain's Come On Over album has sold 1.9 million units and Celine Dion's Let's Talk about Love album has reached 1.5 million sales.
* Consistent with the previous two years, 25% of total album sales occurred during the Holiday Season (last 6 weeks of year).
Related News from Mi2N:
» Nielsen Music 2007 Year End Music Industry Report For Canada
» Mixcloud Taps Gracenote for Advanced Music Recognition
» Copyright Royalty Board Increases Sirius XM Royalty Rate
» Live Entertainment Specialists Headliner Launch Premium Artist Booking Service
» Nordic & British Musicians' Unions' Joint Statement on Sexism in the Music Industry
» Women Make An Impact On The 2018 MPG Awards Shortlist
News Beat Directory
» [2017-12-25] MusicDish*China Presents 'Savage Guitarist' Todd Clouser In Beijing; As Part Of His #YouTheBrave Asia Tour That Includes 8 Shows Across Japan, Todd Will Be Giving Solo Shows At Laifu Livehouse On 12/27 And Temple Bar On 12/28
» [2017-12-20] Mixcloud Taps Gracenote For Advanced Music Recognition; Next-generation Audio Fingerprinting Helps Mixcloud Identify And Catalog Copyrighted Music Within User-generated Content
» [2017-12-18] Copyright Royalty Board Increases Sirius XM Royalty Rate; Judges Announce Royalty Rates And Terms For Satellite Audio Radio Services (SDARS) And Preexisting Subscription Services
» [2017-12-06] Lithuanian Band Grabs Bronze At The Silk Road Indie Music Festival 2017; Antikvariniai Kašpirovskio Dantys Competed With Bands From Belgium, Sweden, Armenia, Germany, Japan, South Africa, India, Norway, Poland, Italy And The UK As Well As China
» [2017-12-06] Live Entertainment Specialists Headliner Launch Premium Artist Booking Service; A Fully-managed Service That Simplifies The Process Of Booking Renowned Artists And Performers For Occasional Event Planners, Agencies And Brands
» [2017-11-27] Voice-Controlled Speakers & The Music We Listen Too; Music Is A Major Part Of The Way Amazon Echo And Google Home Owners Interact With Their Devices
» [2017-11-21] Nordic & British Musicians' Unions' Joint Statement On Sexism In The Music Industry; Discussions On The Issue Of Gender Inequality, Sexism And Sexual Harassment, The Scale Of Which Had Been Highlighted By The Recent #metoo Campaign
» [2017-11-13] Women Make An Impact On The 2018 MPG Awards Shortlist; Nearly A Quarter Of Those Named This Year Are Female, Proving That Music Production Is No Longer A Bastion For The Boys
» [2017-11-13] The Nashville Musicians Sound Healthcare Plan Rolls Out; Sound Healthcare & Financial Announced The Formation Of A True Group Health Insurance Policy Plan For Musicians And Industry Professionals
» [2017-11-09] Streaming & Listening Diversity - Spotify Case Study; Will Artists Have An Easier Time Finding An Audience, Or Will Streaming Focus Global Attention On A Small Number Of Stars?
» [2017-11-09] Two-Sides Of Copyright Finance: Sound Royalties & Kobalt; Sound Royalties Unearths Millions In Undistributed Royalties While Kobalt Launches Fund To Invest In Music Copyright
» [2017-11-08] Career Moves: ROLI, Live Nation Sweden, Music Glue, BBR Music Group, Warner/Chappell Music Spain & Blue Night Soundscapes; ROLI Chief Creative Officer, Live Nation Sweden Managing Directors, Music Glue Global Head Of Business Development, BBR Music Group VP Of International, Warner/Chappell Music Spain Managing Director And Blue Night Director Of Music Clearance
follow MusicDish on