Record Store Day Sales Surge
Overall album sales (CD, LP, etc.) at independent record stores were up 91% vs. the prior week and up 11% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year
Record Story Day 2014 was on Saturday, April 19. All sales figures are for the entire week, Monday-Sunday (week ending April 19, 2014) in the U.S.
"Record Store Day keeps shining the spotlight on the experience that Independent Record Stores uniquely brings to music fans," says David Bakula, SVP Client Development & Insights, Nielsen Entertainment. "Propelled by Record Store Day, Independent Record Stores had their highest weekly Physical Album share in SoundScan's history. It has become a major music event that that compels artists to deliver premium content and drives music consumers to Independent Record Stores."
Independent record store album sales increases by year (sales percentage increase over the prior week):
2014 (April 19, 2014): +91%
2013 (April 20, 2013): +59%
2012 (April 21, 2012): +27%
2011 (April 16, 2011): +39%
2010 (April 17, 2010): +12%
2009 (April 18, 2009): +21%
2008 (April 19, 2008): +0.4%
Independent Record Stores Highlights:
* Overall album sales (CD, LP, etc.) at Independent record stores were up 91% vs. the prior week and up 11% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year.
* Independent Record Stores represented 19.4% of the total national volume of all Physical Album sales this week. This is the highest share of Physical Album sales for the Independent stores since SoundScan started tracking sales by store strata.
* Vinyl LP sales at Independent record stores were up 280% vs. the prior week and up 58% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year. This is the most successful Record Store Day week for Vinyl LPs.
* Fueled by Record Store Day exclusives, Independent Record Stores represented 85% of the total national volume of Vinyl LPs this week. In 2013, Independent Record Stores sold 82% of the total national Vinyl LPs.
* This week represented the second-highest sales volume for the Independent Record Stores in a non-holiday week since 2008.
Vinyl LP Sales increased 176% this week over last week at all stores.
Sales of 12" Vinyl exploded this week increasing more than 3,100% over last week, and up 113% over the same week last year.
* RSD 2014 is the most successful Record Store Day ever for vinyl with LP sales up 58% over the week of RSD 2013.
* Vinyl LPs accounted for 52% of all album sales (CD, LP, other album formats) at Independent record stores this week. The week of RSD 2013, LPs accounted for 37% of all album sales at Independent record stores.
* Of the top 50 Vinyl LPs in the U.S. this week, 43 titles were either exclusive Record Store Day releases, or were widely released for the first time this week.
* The top 50 Vinyl LPs combined to sell 35% more copies this week than during the week of Record Store Day in 2013.
* 68 different Vinyl LPs sold more than 1,000 copies this week, compared to 17 Vinyl LPs with exceeding 1,000 copies sold during the week of last year's Record Store Day.
* YTD Vinyl LP sales are now up 36% vs. the same period last year and are on pace to exceed last year's record-high volume.
» Stones Fans Rejoice - 2015 Tour Dates Announced
» ASCAP CEO Elizabeth Matthews Testifies For Senate Judiciary Subcommittee
» Ebook And Music Downloads Stagnate While Mobile Games And Videos See Strong Growth
» Red Bull Music Academy Accepting Applications for Paris Academy
» Music Therapy May Provide Hope To Alzheimer and Parkinson Sufferers
Insider Scoop Directory
» [2015-05-22] MusicDish*China Tours, Signing, NYCxDesign And Planetrox; It's Been A Busy 2015 With New Tours, Our Launch Into The Art/design World And Signing Of One Of The Pioneers Of Chinese Rock
» [2015-05-19] Award-Nominated DJ Soulier Performs At Beijing's Award-Winning DDC; Western Canadian Music Awards Nominee Returns To China For 7 Dates In Beijing, Changsha, Wuhan, Guangzhou And Tianjin
» [2015-05-18] Second Hand Rose "Crossing Boundaries" World Tour; China's Boldest Rock Band Will Embark On Their "Crossing Boundaries" World Tour That Will Include One Of Europe's Biggest Festivals, Paleo Festival Nyon 2015
» [2015-05-13] CMW Live Touring Summit: Interview With Elliott Lefko; Interview With Elliott Lefko VP Of Talent, Goldenvoice / AEG Live / Coachella
» [2015-05-12] Online Chinese Music Video Platform Yinyuetai Raises $35 Million In Funding; The Funding Would Be Used To Build A Fan Club Platform And Optimize Its Music Fan Service System
» [2015-05-11] Founder Of Beijing Oi! Punk And MiSanDao Front Man Passes Away; Ode To China's Boot Boy
» [2015-05-09] The New Wave Of Chinese Contemporary Art: Identity, Irreverence And Forward-Looking; Avent Studio, LittleE Studio And MusicDish*China Will Present A Unique Event Assembling Chinese Creators Who Have Chosen Very Different Paths, And Yet Share A Common Spirit
» [2015-04-30] Tommy Hilfiger New Store Opening In Beijing, China; As Part Of His Global 30th Anniversary Tour, Iconic American Designer Tommy Hilfiger Will Visit Beijing For A Special Program
» [2015-04-24] Stones Fans Rejoice - 2015 Tour Dates Announced; This Tour Will Follow The Band's 2014 One Fire Tour, Which Went Through Europe, Asia, New Zealand, And Australia
» [2015-04-07] INTRO Electronic Music Festival: Interview With DJ Weng Weng; INTRO Music Festival, China's Biggest Electronic Music Festival, Will Be Held This May 1st In Beijing's Chaoyang Park
» [2015-04-06] VUE Audiotechnik Establishes VUE China; VUE Audiotechnik China Will Offer The Entire Complement Of VUE Products As Well As Provide Technical Support For All Integrated Systems
» [2015-04-03] March 28, 2015: A Black Day For Yaogun (Chinese Rock); A Bad Practical Joke Played On China's Rockers? 330 Festival, MIDI Festival And Strawberry Festival Get Cancelled
follow MusicDish on