Record Store Day Sales Surge
Overall album sales (CD, LP, etc.) at independent record stores were up 91% vs. the prior week and up 11% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year
Record Story Day 2014 was on Saturday, April 19. All sales figures are for the entire week, Monday-Sunday (week ending April 19, 2014) in the U.S.
"Record Store Day keeps shining the spotlight on the experience that Independent Record Stores uniquely brings to music fans," says David Bakula, SVP Client Development & Insights, Nielsen Entertainment. "Propelled by Record Store Day, Independent Record Stores had their highest weekly Physical Album share in SoundScan's history. It has become a major music event that that compels artists to deliver premium content and drives music consumers to Independent Record Stores."
Independent record store album sales increases by year (sales percentage increase over the prior week):
2014 (April 19, 2014): +91%
2013 (April 20, 2013): +59%
2012 (April 21, 2012): +27%
2011 (April 16, 2011): +39%
2010 (April 17, 2010): +12%
2009 (April 18, 2009): +21%
2008 (April 19, 2008): +0.4%
Independent Record Stores Highlights:
* Overall album sales (CD, LP, etc.) at Independent record stores were up 91% vs. the prior week and up 11% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year.
* Independent Record Stores represented 19.4% of the total national volume of all Physical Album sales this week. This is the highest share of Physical Album sales for the Independent stores since SoundScan started tracking sales by store strata.
* Vinyl LP sales at Independent record stores were up 280% vs. the prior week and up 58% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year. This is the most successful Record Store Day week for Vinyl LPs.
* Fueled by Record Store Day exclusives, Independent Record Stores represented 85% of the total national volume of Vinyl LPs this week. In 2013, Independent Record Stores sold 82% of the total national Vinyl LPs.
* This week represented the second-highest sales volume for the Independent Record Stores in a non-holiday week since 2008.
Vinyl LP Sales increased 176% this week over last week at all stores.
Sales of 12" Vinyl exploded this week increasing more than 3,100% over last week, and up 113% over the same week last year.
* RSD 2014 is the most successful Record Store Day ever for vinyl with LP sales up 58% over the week of RSD 2013.
* Vinyl LPs accounted for 52% of all album sales (CD, LP, other album formats) at Independent record stores this week. The week of RSD 2013, LPs accounted for 37% of all album sales at Independent record stores.
* Of the top 50 Vinyl LPs in the U.S. this week, 43 titles were either exclusive Record Store Day releases, or were widely released for the first time this week.
* The top 50 Vinyl LPs combined to sell 35% more copies this week than during the week of Record Store Day in 2013.
* 68 different Vinyl LPs sold more than 1,000 copies this week, compared to 17 Vinyl LPs with exceeding 1,000 copies sold during the week of last year's Record Store Day.
* YTD Vinyl LP sales are now up 36% vs. the same period last year and are on pace to exceed last year's record-high volume.
» Over 90% Of Adults Support The Provision Of Music In Schools
» WIN Calls YouTube's Decisions "A Grave Error of Commercial Judgement"
» Earbits Service Shuts Down
» Top 10 Reasons To Hire A Professional Crew For Your Music Video
» Rap Genius Partners With The NMPA
Insider Scoop Directory
» [2014-10-29] MusicDish*China Founder To Speak At Beijing's Dongdong Conference; Eric De Fontenay Invited To Speak On "The Art Of Artist Management" And "China Export: Meet The People Who Take Chinese Talents Across Borders" Panels
» [2014-09-19] Creative Jazz In Shenzhen - 4th OCT-LOFT International Jazz Festival; Creative Jazz In Shenzhen - 4th OCT-LOFT International Jazz Festival
» [2014-09-15] Show Your Red&Green And Support China's Second Hand Rose #UselessRockUSA Tour; To Help Raise Awareness Of The Tour And Inspire A Little Creativity Amongst Old And New Fans, We're Launching The #UselessRockUSA Red&Green Campaign On Social Media
» [2014-08-26] Provocative Beijing Rockers Second Hand Rose To Play NYC, DC, Philly, Boston; China's Biggest Rock Band Announces Their Useless Rock Tour Of The East Coast With Stops In New York, Boston, Washington DC, And Philadelphia
» [2014-08-19] BROBST Electro-Rock Leads MusicDish*China Top 5 Indie Song Chart; Cracking MusicDish*China's Charts For The First Time, Electronic Rock Artist BROBST Comes In At #1 With Their Song "Rain"
» [2014-08-19] Second Hand Rose To Play NYC, DC, Philly, Boston; Fans Can Pre-purchase Tickets To Any Of The Club Shows Or Pick Up Items From The Band's Clothing Line, Red & Green Through PledgeMusic
» [2014-08-05] Love And Peace 2014 Outdoor Camping Music Festival; The 2014 Love And Peace Music Festival Will Be Held In Wuhan This September 6-7
» [2014-08-04] MusicDish*China Top 5 Indie Song Chart (Vol. 1, No. 4); MusicDish*China Top 5 Indie Song Chart (Vol. 1, No. 4)
» [2014-08-04] The Courtesans Drives MusicDish*China Top 5 Indie Song Chart; Chart Based On Aggregate Plays Of Songs Promoted Through MusicDish*China Song Blast On Chinese Streaming Portals, Including Ximalaya, Diandian, Lizhi.fm, Kanjian And YuYin.fm
» [2014-07-25] FM Pilots Skyrockets To Top Of MusicDish*China Indie Song Chart; Oklahoma Pop-alternative Quartet FM Pilots' "With You" Skyrocketed To The Top Of This Week's Chart With Over 4,000 Plays Over The Week
» [2014-07-25] MusicDish*China Top 5 Indie Song Chart 07/19-07/25/2014; MusicDish*China Top 5 Indie Song Chart 07/19-07/25/2014
» [2014-07-22] Zebra Music Festival (Shanghai) Ticket Giveaway Winners; Zebra Music Festival (Shanghai) Ticket Giveaway Winners
follow MusicDish on