Why Mastering Your Audio Is Vital
Sometimes referred to the "black art", mastering is the most mysterious and least understood audio process
Mastering is the most mysterious and least understood audio process. Sometimes referred to the "black art", there are many misconceptions around it. Many budding audio producers and composers confuse it with mixing. Mixing and mastering are 2 separate processes and have completely different processing goals. Mastering is a final and the most important step in getting your audio to sound like a million dollar. You might have mixed your audio in the best of the studios, but it still needs mastering to sound professional. Here are some reasons why mastering is so important for your audio tracks:
1. Add further depth, sparkle and shine to your mixes. Mastering makes minute adjustments to the highs/mid/low balance, the stereo field etc to add the final sparkle and crispness to the tracks.
2. New perspective: You need a new set of ears to evaluate your tracks. Every producer and mix engineer has their own set of preferences as to how the final should sound. This results in a biased sound. An experienced mastering engineer can evaluate the track in a better way than the mix engineer or the artist, who sometimes can get "too close" to the song. An independent assessment helps in fixing the bias and making the sounds more rounded.
3. Loudness maximization: Mastering helps in achieve the "loud" levels which help in better perception of the songs. A certain level of loudness is necessary, so that the songs don‚t sound low quality when played side by side with other commercial released songs.
4. High end Equipment: Mastering employs very high end audio chains and gear. The accurate acoustic environment and superior monitoring helps in better judging the overall frequencies of the songs. This aids in balancing the overall frequencies of the song perfectly.
5. Album consistency: mastering give a consistent feel and tone to the entire album. Consistent dynamics and audio levels across the album makes the listening experience smooth and the listener doesn‚t have to keep adjusting the levels when going from track 1 to track 2
6. Translation: mastering ensures that your tracks‚ sound consistent and similar when they are played in different stereo systems. There are a wide variety of audio playback systems, from the ipod to big stereo sound systems. If a song is not mastered, it might play well on one system and might fall flat in the other!
So if you have your songs already mixed, head to a mastering studio. There are many online mastering studios as well, but you need to be careful of what you choose. Make sure you don‚t go for cheap mastering studios, as they might not have the required gear or expertise to master your tracks.
» Screen Music Connect To Explore The Music Of Film, Television And Interactive Media
» Skype and Mixcloud Launch "Connecting..." Podcast Series
» Voice-Controlled Speakers & The Music We Listen Too
» Hybrid Studios Announces Online Mastering Services
» ICMP Launches Spotlight Blog
Digital Skool Directory
» [2018-09-16] Live Nation Electronic Asia Inks Deal With Budweiser For Creamfields Festivals; Together, Creamfields And Budweiser Will Focus On Building Entirely New Content For Dedicated Electronic Music Fans Throughout Asia
» [2018-08-23] Andy Ma Appointed Warner Music China CEO; Andy Ma Has Also Been Appointed EVP, Commercial And Business Development For Greater China
» [2018-08-23] IndieOn Connects Music To The Blockchain; IndieOn Is Confident Of Creating A "music Miner" Who Listens More And Grow Their Token Value
» [2018-06-23] The 2018 MIDEM Silk Road International Music Alliance Signing; International Music Industries Signing Of A Mutual Resource Sharing Agreement With Shanghai Conservatory Of Music & The China Records Group
» [2018-06-06] Screen Music Connect To Explore The Music Of Film, Television And Interactive Media; Created By James Hannigan, Award-winning Composer And Game Music Connect Co-founder, Screen Music Connect Builds On The Success Of The Sold-out Game Music Conferences
» [2018-06-05] Fred Casimir To Develop BMG's Global Recordings Business; As Well As Building BMG's European Infrastructure, Casimir Was Instrumental In Developing BMG's Recordings Business
» [2018-06-03] 13 Music Label Sold To MTN; DSN Music Spins Off Record Label To Albuquerque Music Entrepreneur's New Group
» [2018-06-02] CISAC 2018 Annual Report; A Comprehensive Overview Of The Confederation's Work To Serve 4 Million Creators And 239 Authors Societies Across The World
» [2018-06-02] MusicDish Announces A Love Electric 2018 China Tour; The Tour Will Crisscross Through China With 12 Shows In 8 Cities, Including Guangzhou, Dongguan, Zhuhai, Shenzhen, Kunming, Jiaxin, Wuhan And Beijing
» [2018-06-02] Darcus Beese Named President Of Island Records; Renowned U.K. Music Executive To Join Universal Music Group's U.S. Label Leadership
» [2018-05-17] Avant-Garde Label Maybe Noise Launches In Beijing; The Official Launch Will Be On May 26 At Magnet Theater With A Performance Supporting Its First Vinyl Release: Píng Zč
» [2018-05-04] Award-Winning Lithuanian Rock Band Colours Of Bubbles "She Is The Darkness" 2018 China Tour; The Tour Will Kickoff In Shanghai Where The Band Will Represent Lithuania During The Country's Signing To The Silk Road Music Alliance
follow MusicDish on