Why Mastering Your Audio Is Vital
Sometimes referred to the "black art", mastering is the most mysterious and least understood audio process
Mastering is the most mysterious and least understood audio process. Sometimes referred to the "black art", there are many misconceptions around it. Many budding audio producers and composers confuse it with mixing. Mixing and mastering are 2 separate processes and have completely different processing goals. Mastering is a final and the most important step in getting your audio to sound like a million dollar. You might have mixed your audio in the best of the studios, but it still needs mastering to sound professional. Here are some reasons why mastering is so important for your audio tracks:
1. Add further depth, sparkle and shine to your mixes. Mastering makes minute adjustments to the highs/mid/low balance, the stereo field etc to add the final sparkle and crispness to the tracks.
2. New perspective: You need a new set of ears to evaluate your tracks. Every producer and mix engineer has their own set of preferences as to how the final should sound. This results in a biased sound. An experienced mastering engineer can evaluate the track in a better way than the mix engineer or the artist, who sometimes can get "too close" to the song. An independent assessment helps in fixing the bias and making the sounds more rounded.
3. Loudness maximization: Mastering helps in achieve the "loud" levels which help in better perception of the songs. A certain level of loudness is necessary, so that the songs don‚t sound low quality when played side by side with other commercial released songs.
4. High end Equipment: Mastering employs very high end audio chains and gear. The accurate acoustic environment and superior monitoring helps in better judging the overall frequencies of the songs. This aids in balancing the overall frequencies of the song perfectly.
5. Album consistency: mastering give a consistent feel and tone to the entire album. Consistent dynamics and audio levels across the album makes the listening experience smooth and the listener doesn‚t have to keep adjusting the levels when going from track 1 to track 2
6. Translation: mastering ensures that your tracks‚ sound consistent and similar when they are played in different stereo systems. There are a wide variety of audio playback systems, from the ipod to big stereo sound systems. If a song is not mastered, it might play well on one system and might fall flat in the other!
So if you have your songs already mixed, head to a mastering studio. There are many online mastering studios as well, but you need to be careful of what you choose. Make sure you don‚t go for cheap mastering studios, as they might not have the required gear or expertise to master your tracks.
» Novation Bass Station II and the New Sound of P-Funk
» Best Facebook Supported Video Format for Facebook Uploading
» Sir Tom Jones Rocked Muscat with Outline Butterfly
» midemlab: Startup & Apps Developers Competition
» The Headphone Market: Booming All The Way To The Bank
Digital Skool Directory
» [2014-09-15] Show Your Red&Green And Support China's Second Hand Rose #UselessRockUSA Tour; To Help Raise Awareness Of The Tour And Inspire A Little Creativity Amongst Old And New Fans, We're Launching The #UselessRockUSA Red&Green Campaign On Social Media
» [2014-08-26] Provocative Beijing Rockers Second Hand Rose To Play NYC, DC, Philly, Boston; China's Biggest Rock Band Announces Their Useless Rock Tour Of The East Coast With Stops In New York, Boston, Washington DC, And Philadelphia
» [2014-08-19] BROBST Electro-Rock Leads MusicDish*China Top 5 Indie Song Chart; Cracking MusicDish*China's Charts For The First Time, Electronic Rock Artist BROBST Comes In At #1 With Their Song "Rain"
» [2014-08-19] Second Hand Rose To Play NYC, DC, Philly, Boston; Fans Can Pre-purchase Tickets To Any Of The Club Shows Or Pick Up Items From The Band's Clothing Line, Red & Green Through PledgeMusic
» [2014-08-05] Love And Peace 2014 Outdoor Camping Music Festival; The 2014 Love And Peace Music Festival Will Be Held In Wuhan This September 6-7
» [2014-08-04] MusicDish*China Top 5 Indie Song Chart (Vol. 1, No. 4); MusicDish*China Top 5 Indie Song Chart (Vol. 1, No. 4)
» [2014-08-04] The Courtesans Drives MusicDish*China Top 5 Indie Song Chart; Chart Based On Aggregate Plays Of Songs Promoted Through MusicDish*China Song Blast On Chinese Streaming Portals, Including Ximalaya, Diandian, Lizhi.fm, Kanjian And YuYin.fm
» [2014-07-25] FM Pilots Skyrockets To Top Of MusicDish*China Indie Song Chart; Oklahoma Pop-alternative Quartet FM Pilots' "With You" Skyrocketed To The Top Of This Week's Chart With Over 4,000 Plays Over The Week
» [2014-07-25] MusicDish*China Top 5 Indie Song Chart 07/19-07/25/2014; MusicDish*China Top 5 Indie Song Chart 07/19-07/25/2014
» [2014-07-22] Zebra Music Festival (Shanghai) Ticket Giveaway Winners; Zebra Music Festival (Shanghai) Ticket Giveaway Winners
» [2014-07-21] MusicDish*China Top 5 Indie Song Chart 07/12-07/18/2014; MusicDish*China Top 5 Indie Song Chart 07/12-07/18/2014
» [2014-07-17] Temple Bar 3 Year Anniversary; To Celebrate This Very Special Moment, Temple Bar Will Throw A Four-day Bash Filled With Special Events From July 24th Till 27th
follow MusicDish on