Enhancing Your Chances for Success
Good communication is a tool that can greatly enhance your chances of achieving success and it doesn't cost a dime. Having this skill makes networking more productive. What's the point of meeting people who can help you if you can't connect to them verbally? There's an art to good communication. Here are some tips. They may seem obvious, but a surprising number of musicians don't follow them:
* Listen to the other person. Ask them questions. Often when you meet someone in the industry, you bulldoze them with a pitch about your music. Yak. Yak. Yak. Don't assault people with words about what you're doing and what you need. Ask them what they do. Listen carefully. Communication is a 2- way interaction. You connect with people by listening to what they say.
* Speak slowly. Motor mouths get taken less seriously. When you explain yourself in a calm, confident, professional tone, instead of rushing to get everything you can out fast, people will pay more attention.
MusicDish Network Advertisement|
* Make eye contact when you speak. It shows confidence. People don't trust those who can't look them in the eye.
*Display manners. Use please and thank you. Many industry people forget to do that. Thank people for their time. It can make you stand out.
* Show respect.If you're talking to someone who you want help from, show respect for their time by asking if it's a good time to talk. Don't just dive into your pitch.
* Think before you speak. I hear it all the time. "What made me say that?" "I wish I could erase what I blurted out." Take a deep breath before responding to something important.
* Monitor the pitch of your voice. If you're nervous or excited, start an octave lower. Voices tend to get shrill if emotions kick in. This allows leeway.
* Smile. People will like you more.
* Have a sense of humor. Don't go overboard or put yourself down in a joke. But know when to laugh. It puts others at ease.
» Fred Casimir To Develop BMG's Global Recordings Business
» Briony Turner And Alec Boateng Promoted To Co-Heads Of A&R, Atlantic Records UK
» The Nashville Musicians Sound Healthcare Plan Rolls Out
» Career Moves: Cinq Music, Songtrust, Def Jam, Warner Music, 117 Management & DPA
» The Production Music Association Now Accepting Entries For The 2017 Mark Awards
Career Tips Directory
» [2018-09-16] Live Nation Electronic Asia Inks Deal With Budweiser For Creamfields Festivals; Together, Creamfields And Budweiser Will Focus On Building Entirely New Content For Dedicated Electronic Music Fans Throughout Asia
» [2018-08-23] Andy Ma Appointed Warner Music China CEO; Andy Ma Has Also Been Appointed EVP, Commercial And Business Development For Greater China
» [2018-08-23] IndieOn Connects Music To The Blockchain; IndieOn Is Confident Of Creating A "music Miner" Who Listens More And Grow Their Token Value
» [2018-06-23] The 2018 MIDEM Silk Road International Music Alliance Signing; International Music Industries Signing Of A Mutual Resource Sharing Agreement With Shanghai Conservatory Of Music & The China Records Group
» [2018-06-06] Screen Music Connect To Explore The Music Of Film, Television And Interactive Media; Created By James Hannigan, Award-winning Composer And Game Music Connect Co-founder, Screen Music Connect Builds On The Success Of The Sold-out Game Music Conferences
» [2018-06-05] Fred Casimir To Develop BMG's Global Recordings Business; As Well As Building BMG's European Infrastructure, Casimir Was Instrumental In Developing BMG's Recordings Business
» [2018-06-03] 13 Music Label Sold To MTN; DSN Music Spins Off Record Label To Albuquerque Music Entrepreneur's New Group
» [2018-06-02] CISAC 2018 Annual Report; A Comprehensive Overview Of The Confederation's Work To Serve 4 Million Creators And 239 Authors Societies Across The World
» [2018-06-02] MusicDish Announces A Love Electric 2018 China Tour; The Tour Will Crisscross Through China With 12 Shows In 8 Cities, Including Guangzhou, Dongguan, Zhuhai, Shenzhen, Kunming, Jiaxin, Wuhan And Beijing
» [2018-06-02] Darcus Beese Named President Of Island Records; Renowned U.K. Music Executive To Join Universal Music Group's U.S. Label Leadership
» [2018-05-17] Avant-Garde Label Maybe Noise Launches In Beijing; The Official Launch Will Be On May 26 At Magnet Theater With A Performance Supporting Its First Vinyl Release: Píng Zè
» [2018-05-04] Award-Winning Lithuanian Rock Band Colours Of Bubbles "She Is The Darkness" 2018 China Tour; The Tour Will Kickoff In Shanghai Where The Band Will Represent Lithuania During The Country's Signing To The Silk Road Music Alliance
follow MusicDish on