Enhancing Your Chances for Success
Good communication is a tool that can greatly enhance your chances of achieving success and it doesn't cost a dime. Having this skill makes networking more productive. What's the point of meeting people who can help you if you can't connect to them verbally? There's an art to good communication. Here are some tips. They may seem obvious, but a surprising number of musicians don't follow them:
* Listen to the other person. Ask them questions. Often when you meet someone in the industry, you bulldoze them with a pitch about your music. Yak. Yak. Yak. Don't assault people with words about what you're doing and what you need. Ask them what they do. Listen carefully. Communication is a 2- way interaction. You connect with people by listening to what they say.
* Speak slowly. Motor mouths get taken less seriously. When you explain yourself in a calm, confident, professional tone, instead of rushing to get everything you can out fast, people will pay more attention.
MusicDish Network Advertisement|
* Make eye contact when you speak. It shows confidence. People don't trust those who can't look them in the eye.
*Display manners. Use please and thank you. Many industry people forget to do that. Thank people for their time. It can make you stand out.
* Show respect.If you're talking to someone who you want help from, show respect for their time by asking if it's a good time to talk. Don't just dive into your pitch.
* Think before you speak. I hear it all the time. "What made me say that?" "I wish I could erase what I blurted out." Take a deep breath before responding to something important.
* Monitor the pitch of your voice. If you're nervous or excited, start an octave lower. Voices tend to get shrill if emotions kick in. This allows leeway.
* Smile. People will like you more.
* Have a sense of humor. Don't go overboard or put yourself down in a joke. But know when to laugh. It puts others at ease.
» The Nashville Musicians Sound Healthcare Plan Rolls Out
» Career Moves: Cinq Music, Songtrust, Def Jam, Warner Music, 117 Management & DPA
» The Production Music Association Now Accepting Entries For The 2017 Mark Awards
» Aloft Hotels And MTV Spotlight Top Asia Pacific Music Talent
» Deadline Looms - The 22nd Annual USA Songwriting Competition
Career Tips Directory
» [2017-11-21] Joint Statement By The Nordic Musicians' Unions And British Musicians' Union; Discussions On The Issue Of Gender Inequality, Sexism And Sexual Harassment, The Scale Of Which Had Been Highlighted By The Recent #metoo Campaign
» [2017-11-13] Women Make An Impact On The 2018 MPG Awards Shortlist; Nearly A Quarter Of Those Named This Year Are Female, Proving That Music Production Is No Longer A Bastion For The Boys
» [2017-11-13] The Nashville Musicians Sound Healthcare Plan Rolls Out; Sound Healthcare & Financial Announced The Formation Of A True Group Health Insurance Policy Plan For Musicians And Industry Professionals
» [2017-11-09] Streaming & Listening Diversity - Spotify Case Study; Will Artists Have An Easier Time Finding An Audience, Or Will Streaming Focus Global Attention On A Small Number Of Stars?
» [2017-11-09] Two-Sides Of Copyright Finance: Sound Royalties & Kobalt; Sound Royalties Unearths Millions In Undistributed Royalties While Kobalt Launches Fund To Invest In Music Copyright
» [2017-11-08] Career Moves: ROLI, Live Nation Sweden, Music Glue, BBR Music Group, Warner/Chappell Music Spain & Blue Night Soundscapes; ROLI Chief Creative Officer, Live Nation Sweden Managing Directors, Music Glue Global Head Of Business Development, BBR Music Group VP Of International, Warner/Chappell Music Spain Managing Director And Blue Night Director Of Music Clearance
» [2017-11-08] Europe's Digital Music Leaders Form Alliance; European Digital Music Companies Launch Of Digital Music Europe
» [2017-11-05] Pandora Subscriber Base Grows To Over 5 Million; Pandora Premium Paid Subscribers Cross The 1 Million Milestone In October 2017
» [2017-11-05] Hybrid Studios Announces Online Mastering Services; Engineers Billy Klein And Brian Frederick Spearhead New Online Mastering Effort Through OC Studio
» [2017-11-05] Music Industry Betting On VR & AR For New Revenue; The Music Industry Is Making An Early Bet On VR & AR To Create New Revenue Streams Across All Their Lines Of Business
» [2017-11-04] Sound Royalties Unearths Millions In Undistributed Royalties; Nearly $14 Million In Undistributed Royalties Has Been Found By Music-focused Finance Firm Sound Royalties
» [2017-11-02] MusicDish*China October China Label Music Releases And Charts; Several Tracks From October Releases Have Charted On Chinese Music Portal Kanjian ING Top 10 Weekly Chart
follow MusicDish on